Sunday, February 28, 2010

Sweet Potato Fries


Two of my best friends are vegan. Which is no big deal, except for the fact that I have this compulsion to stuff people full of dairy and refined wheat products. Two things that are not so good for some people. Anyway, I had them over, and I made these. They loved them. I loved them. THIS IS ONE OF MY FAVORITE FOODS. It's perfect. It can be adapted. It's delicious. And simple. And perfect. And I love it with all of my entire soul. And here's the thing, they're even better cold. It sounds weird. But just out of the refridgerator, they make me swoon. Oh yes they do.

Roasted Spiced Sweet Potato
from The Gourmet Cookbook

1 teaspoon coriander seeds
1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds*
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 pounds medium sweet potatos, scrubbed
3 tablespoons vegetable oil

Put rack in middle of oven adn preheat to 425 F.

Coarsely grind (or finely chop) coriander, fennel, oregano and red pepper flakes in coffe/spice grinder, a mortar with pestle, or chop them together very finely. Stir together spices and salt.
Cut potatos lenghtwise into one inch thick wedges. Toss with oil and spices in a roasting pan and spread out in one layer. Roast for 20 minutes.
Turn wedges over with a spatula and roast until tender and slightly golden, 15 to 20 minutes more.

* Um, excuse me? Fennel seeds? Really? Well I'm sorry, but I just DON'T HAPPEN TO HAVE A BUNCH OF FENNEL SEEDS ON HAND IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN. I just substitued with something I figured was similiar.

1 comment:

Tara said...

And that substitution would be???