Sunday, May 1, 2011

Arugula, Potato and Green Bean Salad with Creamy Dressing

I do not handle life’s little mess-ups well. Rather, I do not handle MY personal mess-ups very well.


I freak.



Which, of course reminds me of the importance of living beautifully.
Though I can’t control everything, i.e. forgetting things, shrieking at a stranger who I thought was my cousin (REALLY HE LOOKED EXACTLY LIKE MY COUSIN) and misunderstanding people and generally making a fool of myself, I can create the spaces I inhabit. I can put postcards of New York City and ladies in bonnets on my walls if I want to. I can choose the clothes I wear, the people I spend time with, the music I listen to, the books I read.

And I can eat beautiful things.


Like this salad.


Also, this is the 101 post on this blog. I am so proud.

xoxo

mary


Arugula, Potato and Green Bean Salad, with a Creamy Dressing
From SmittenKitchen who adapted from
Martha Stewart

I will admit that I know virtually nothing about this recipe. My mother dearest made it last night and it is very very good. So I am posting it with the disclaimer that I didn't actually do any of the work. Were I to actually make it, I would toss a poached or fried egg on top, because I adore eggs. We ate this with stilton and steak and strawberries. But I don't think steak is very photogenic. So all you get is salad.

Makes 8 small salads or 4 larger ones

1 ounce walnuts (about 1/3 cup)
1 1/2 pounds fingerling potatoes, or red new potatoes cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick rounds
6 ounces haricots, verts, or other green beans, trimmed and cut into 2-inch segments
2 tablespoons white wine or other mild vinegar
2 tablespoons plain yogurt
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon coarse salt
Freshly ground pepper
2 tablespoons walnut oil or olive oil
3 ounces baby arugula

Preheat oven to 375°. Place walnuts on a rimmed baking sheet and toast in oven until fragrant, about 8 minutes. Let cool slightly, then coarsely chop and set aside.

Bring a medium saucepan of water to a boil. Add potatoes, and cook until tender, about 10 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer potatoes to a colander to drain and cool. Set aside.

Prepare an ice-water bath; set aside. Return pan of water to a boil. Add green beans, and cook until tender and bright green, about 3 to 4 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to ice-water bath to stop the cooking. Drain.

Whisk together vinegar, yogurt, mustard and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a small bowl; season with pepper. Add oil in a slow, steady stream, whisking until emulsified. Set dressing aside.

Arrange arugula, potatoes, and green beans on a platter. Season with remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Drizzle with dressing and sprinkle with toasted walnuts; toss to coat.

No comments: